Home » Parish Council Records » Minutes » 2024-25 Minutes » Parish Council Meeting – July 2024

Parish Council Meeting – July 2024

Belstone Parish Council Logo

BELSTONE PARISH COUNCIL

Draft Minutes for the meeting of Belstone Parish Council held on 8th July 2024 at Belstone Village Hall at 7.30 pm

Councillors Present:

Michael Ash (Chairman), Jon Pike, Peter Cooper, Deborah Hosegood, Claire Grubb

Also Present:

Sally Fullwood (Clerk), Cllr James McInnes (Devon County Council).

Not Present:

Andrew Booth

2024/25-031 Disclosures of Interests

There were no disclosures of interest.

2024/25-032 Apologies for Absence

Cllr Theresa Weaver sent her apologies, which were accepted.

2024/25-033 Public Participation Session

There was no public participation.

2024/25-034 Minutes

The minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 20th May 2024 were considered, agreed and signed as a correct record.

2024/25-035 Borough and County Councillor Statements

Cllr James McInnes (Devon County Council) had sent a report just before the meeting which will be available on the website. He will be working with the new MPs for Devon. Extra money has been given to Highways for potholes. He has a Locality Budget of £8,000 for his 21 councils, and would consider contributing to the Coronation Lantern fund. Action: Clerk to ask for link. He highlighted the problems with the shortage of housing in the area.

Cllr Lynn Daniel (West Devon Borough Council) had sent reports for June and July which are available on the website or by application to the Clerk. These were noted.

2024/25-036 Chairman’s Announcements

Cllr Ash reported that a new planning application had been received on Friday. It was agreed to hold an extraordinary meeting to discuss this matter on Monday 15th January at 6.30pm.

0291/24 WoodsmokeRe-build of office and dormer window including partial re-roof, at Woodsmoke, Belstone, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 1RD

2024/25-037 Clerk’s Report

The Clerk’s report, previously circulated, was noted. The full report is available on the website or by application to the Clerk. The Council expressed surprise at the knowledge that the hedge at Tongue End did not belong to the property.

2024/25-038 Coronation Lantern

Cllr Pike reported that the two grant applications had not been successful. Action: Clerk will contact a parishioner to see if she can suggest any grant funds.
On chasing, the Clerk had received a reply from Highways that it was being forward to a manager, but has since received nothing. Cllr McInnes offered to chase it up. Action: Clerk will forward it to Cllr McInnes.
Cllr Cooper had seen a fitting on a lamp in Dorset that had withstood the weather for five years.

2024/25-039 Okehampton District Community Transport Group (ODCTG)

A request for a grant had been received from ODCTG.
It was agreed to pay the same amount as last year, £30 out of a grant budget of £60.
Proposer: Cllr Pike, Seconder: Cllr Grubb.

2024/25-040 West Devon Matters

It was agreed that Cllr Grubb would attend this meeting online on 17th July. Action: Cllr Grubb.

2024/25-041 Planning

A. Planning Applications

There were no planning applications to discuss (see Chairman’s announcements item 36 above).

B. Planning Decisions

The following decisions were noted:

0120/24 BurlCertificate of Lawfulness for a proposed development – Erection of new single storey extensions and conversion of existing roof space, Burl, Belstone, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 1RDCertificate of Lawfulness granted.

C. Other Planning Matters

There were no other planning matters.

2024/25-042 Finance

A. Recent Transactions

• Payments – Insurance Payment £145.80, Auditors Honorarium £25, New Councillor Training Courses £72, Clerk’s Wages £557.08, Planning Course £36
• Receipts – VAT Refund £98.68, Interest £4.11
• Total Balance (08/07/24) £4,681.85 (including £670 election reserve, £148.89 Car Park Reserve)

B. Payments

The following payments were agreed:
• ODCTG Grant (Item 39) – £30
• Society of Local Council Clerks (SLCC) Membership Renewal – £56
• Zoho Email and Data Storage Renewal – £103.68
Proposer: Cllr Pike, Seconder: Cllr Cooper

There was a discussion on the data storage which at present includes only one licence for the Clerk to edit documents. Previously the data was stored on the Village Hall server and only the Clerk had access. Links can be sent out which enable councillors to view folders, Cllr Pike requested that they should have access to previous minutes and documents as well as the current shared folder. Action: Clerk. It was agreed to consider data access for all members at the next budget setting in November.

2024/25-043 Financial Regulations

It was agreed to approve the new Financial Regulations as edited from the NALC Model 2024 version by Cllr Pike. The Chairman signed them.

2024/25-044 Asset Register

It was agreed to approve the Asset Register, with slight amendments by the Clerk. The Chairman signed it.

Cllr Hosegood and Cllr Grubb reported that the wood in the stocks is falling out frequently. Cllr Ash explained that the wood was bought for the 1952 coronation, and has been replaced twice since by moving one of the stone posts. Action: Cllr Cooper will research costs for the replacement of the wood.
Cllr Hosegood reported that the Green Brae seat needs some maintenance. Action: Cllr Ash will look at it, as he is related to the family who own it.

2024/25-045 Rights of Way

It was noted that Dartmoor National Park Authority (DNPA) was responsible for the footpaths, but with lack of funds they were unable to improve some waterlogged paths.
It was agreed to put a link on the Parish Council page with links to the footpath maps and the DNPA website for reporting problems. Action: Clerk
It was agreed that there was no need for walks leaflets.

2024/25-046 Clerk’s Appraisal

Cllr Weaver had offered to do the Clerk’s appraisal in August. It was agreed that Cllr Weaver should perform the appraisal on her own. Action: Cllr Weaver.

2024/25-047 Items for Next Parish Council Agenda

The next scheduled meeting will be on 9th September – Cllr Cooper reported that a member of the public had raised a problem of rats on a path between Church Haye and Hillside. This will not be put on the next agenda as it is a private environmental health problem that should be reported to West Devon Borough Council.

The meeting closed at 20.49 pm.
The date of the next meeting will be Monday 15th July 2024 at 6.30pm.