BELSTONE PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 20th October 2020
in the Village Hall
Present: Michael Ash (Chairman), Ann Norman (Vice Chairman), Paul Boyce, Peter Cooper, Susan Norrish, Jon Pike, and Kate Little(Parish Clerk).
In Attendance: WDBC Cllr Lynne Daniel
The Chairman re-iterated the covid-19 precautions that had to be observed in the village hall as set out in the risk assessment prepared for the last meeting, with the addition of the need for face masks to be worn at all times.
30. Apologies: Theresa Weaver
31. Minutes of the Annual Parish Council meeting of 8th September 2020: Subject to amending minute no. 2020/21-26 to correct the Clerk’s 2020/21 annual salary to £1,305.20, these were agreed and signed by the Chairman as a correct record of the meeting.
32. Matters Arising not dealt with elsewhere on the agenda:
(i) Orchard project – Details of this project have been passed on to the Cricket Club and the Village Hall Cttee. It was agreed that as the access to The Tors old beer garden was not a public one, the Parish Council would not pursue it’s use for the community.
(iii) Condition of Assets – the Chairman signed off the Fixed Asset Register for the year.
(iv) Roadside Hedgerows – No reply has been received from Oldway at Tongue End to the letter asking for their hedge to be cut back from the bus shelter (a Council asset). There also seemed to have been little evidence of residents cutting back overgrown hedges in parts of Skaigh Lane either. The matter will be reviewed in December.
33. Declarations of Interest – there were none.
34. Chairman’s Urgent Items – no urgent matters. However, the Chairman asked if WDBC Cllr Lynne Daniel would like to speak and she presented her October report:
- WDBC has set up various subject based recovery working groups. There is the possibility of grants being made available.
- The Council has issued an interim budget to deal with the £500k gap in the budget and there will be another deficit in the next year’s budget to deal with.
- Cycle tracks – funding is being sought for the Plymouth to Tavistock route to link up with the DNPA planned cycle routes. Sustrans has funded a feasibility study.
- New IT is being installed at WDBC which should make navigating around it more intuitive, especially the planning section.
- The Planning White Paper – WDBC has submitted a strong protest at the proposed loss of local control over development options.
- Climate and Biodiversity Plan – investigating green lungs in urban areas and introducing variations in car parking charges depending on the emissions of the vehicle.
- Covid 19 news – if self isolating continues, WDBC will seek a Government support grant to cover increased costs.
- Lynne still has some funds in her cllr grant pot available to be spent by April.
- South Zeal and Taw Green are on the list for upgrading next year.
- No news regarding the Okehampton train line.
35. Website Accessibility – It was agreed that Simon Hill be asked to audit the Parish Council’s part of the website once it has been established how long it would take. The Council would then do the Accessibility Statement.
36. Village Car Park – The draft car park policy was considered and subject to the additions of:
- all cars are parked at the owner’s own risk; and
- The PC reserves the right to have the vehicle removed at the owner’s expense
it was agreed it could be adopted once it had been re-circulated in its final form to all cllrs.
37. DNPA Settlement Profile Update Consultation (deadline 4th December 2020). It was agreed that the profile was accurate.
38. Contract of Employment for Parish Clerk – The pension, annual leave and employer policies needed to be addressed before a new contract could be finalised for any new clerk.
39. Highways – The rotten finger post at Tor Down was known about by DCC Highways but was not budgeted for this financial year and the broken timber at the Brennamoor cattle grid was not thought to affect the integrity of the structure.
Drainage – The report sent by DCC Highways was noted but was not felt to be acceptable. Discussion took place about the lack of lengthsman activity in the village and that clearing of the drains in Belstone ought to be more of a priority for DCC. [The drains outside Dartmoor House have subsequently been gully sucked last week].
40. Financial Matters:
(i) 2nd quarter budget update – Noted
|Income (gross)||Adopted budget||1st Quarter||2nd quarter||3rd quarter||4th quarter|
|Precept||2,308.00||1,154.00||2,308.00||2nd instalment received|
|Council Tax Support Grant||0||0||0|
|Election funds from reserves||0||0||0|
|Clerk’s net salary||1.046.48||0||0|
|Tax contribution for clerk||261.62||0||0|
|PAYE contract with WDBC||120.00||120.00||120.00||Paid in arrears|
|Internal auditor honorarium||20.00||0||20.00|
|Public liability insurance||190.00||189.82||189.82|
|Information Commissioner’s Fee||35.00||35.00||35.00||Using direct debit, otherwise £40|
|Election costs||150.00||0||0||Save for next election in 4 years time|
|Village hall rent||40.00||0||0||Pay in January 2021|
|Village hall website||20.00||0||0||ditto|
|Car park costs||100.00||0||0|
|Section 137 grants||50.00||0||0|
Business Reserve Account
|Election expenses||360.00||150.00||Transferred from Revenue Budget at year end|
|Car Park||0||100.00||Transferred from Revenue Budget at year end if unspent|
|Year end total||1,642.14||1,638.32||+ £250.00 at year end|
(ii) Section 137 Grant – it was agreed to donate £25 to the Okehampton District Community Transport Group from this budget.
(iii) The 2.9% increase in the DALC subscription for the next financial year was noted.
41. Correspondence received – Numerous Covid-19 updates
42. Any Other Business:
(i) The Superlink Meeting notes were noted.
(ii) WDBC Planning application for an agricultural barn at Stockley Hamlets (adj parish) – it was resolved to make no comment on this proposal.
(iii) A sign warning people about cattle and calves has been erected at the Sticklepath end of Skaigh Woods,
The meeting closed at 8.30pm
The next meeting : 1st December 2020
|20.10.2020||Circulate amended draft car park policy and quote for sign||Clerk|
|20.10.2020||Commission Moorsites to audit the PC website and write website accessibility statement||Clerk|
|8.9.2020||Training in data protection √ Done||Clerk|
|8.9.2020||Rose Cottage planning consultation √||Clerk|
|8.9.2020||Write to Oldway re overgrown hedge affecting the bus shelter √||Clerk|
|8.9.2020||Update Seat Schedule and sign off on condition of assets for insurance purposes √||Clerk|
|8.9.2020||Orchard project – pass on details to Village Hall Cttee and Cricket Club and write to owner of The Tors old beer garden √||Clerk|
|8.9.2020 20.10.2020||Contract of employment and circulate template employment policies||Cllr Jon Pike and Clerk|
|8.9.2020||Post for the website re overhanging hedgerows and trees. √||Clerk|
|8.9.2020||Report highway issues √||Clerk|
|20.10.2020||Send S37 grant cheque||Clerk|